Port Hedland Historical Society (PHHS) was originally formed on 24 March 1989 by Kerry Thom, John van Uden, Ted Graham and Arnold Carter under the name of the Port Hedland Regional Maritime Society for the purpose of locating the Koombana Ship which sank on 20 March 1912. Despite several attempts, the SS Koombana was unable to be located leading to the decision of the Port Hedland Regional Maritime Society to change its aims and objectives focusing on the history of Port Hedland.
On 3 July 1995, the name of the Society was changed to the Port Hedland Historical Society Incorporated which included the transfer of all assets namely: the former Dalgety Company property including the Manager’s residence which was subsequently utilised as the Museum. Owing to the support of 3 members: John, Arnold and Kerry who arranged the finance through mortgage details, the purchase of these properties which included a free additional building utilised as storage.
In 1998, PHHS approached the Port Hedland Centenary Committee requesting funds of $500,000 for the conservation of the building. The request was successful, and the completed project was opened on 6 March 2000 which is now known as the Dalgety House Museum.